Monday, April 1, 2013

Huatulco, Mexico and When Tourism Goes Bad

Overlooking one of the resort beaches

I love buying a ticket to a far away exotic land, and escaping from the routine.  When I come back home, I'm thankful for many of the conveniences and opportunities we have as Americans.  One such trip that made me thankful to be back home, was my visit to Huatulco.


Prettyful!



I went in June, peak of the summer season.  While I didn't travel very far to get there, I was already staying in Puerto Escondido for the month, I still used up a weekend going here.  I made a day trip out of it.

Our cab driver took us to a beautiful cliff where we overlooked the pacific in all of its glory.  This is where the trip started to turn south.

We then drove over to the main beach resort area.  It was over crowded and no where to sit.  We grabbed a drink at an overpriced restaurant on the beach.  About a million people approached us, to buy this or that.  Normally in Mexico, I'm not approached that often by the local merchants - I think it's because I look Mexican.  My traveling friend here was of Irish origin, and stood out like a sore thumb.
overpriced but pretty
We finally caved and purchased a boat ride when the 10th person approached us about it.  It was a quick loop around the bay, I have to admit - it was quite stunning.  Finally we made our way over to the main town, which was dead.  There was no one there, which was a little depressing.

We ended the afternoon at a beach front resort.  Which from the distance didn't look too bad, but when we got close, there were little bits of garbage in the ocean.  Furthermore, there were lots of weird bugs on the beach.  I felt pretty gross after getting out of the water.
Beach El Stinky
So my advice, if you find yourself in southern Pacific Mexico, there are way better places to go to than Huatulco.

No comments:

Post a Comment